Paddlers, Here is a Checklist and Precautions That You Can Review before the Big Race
Before you launch, always make sure you have the following:
- Canoe in good condition
- Plenty of secure buoyancy sturdy paddle
- Paddle leash
- Lifejacket or personal flotation device (PFD) and whistle
- Accessible spare paddle (minimum of 1 per group)
- Water bottle
- Always wear a personal flotation device.
- Avoid standing in a canoe.
- Be sure weight is centered and distributed evenly in the canoe or kayak.
- Avoid rushing water or rapids unless experienced.
- Bring an extra paddle.
- If you capsize, stay with the watercraft and await for a safety boat to assist you.